In July 2009, I wasn't thinking much about praying for President Obama. It was clear to me that his views did not align with my own. I was increasingly distracted by my concerns and those of others. I did pray for him but not consistently. I spent more time reading and sharing articles on Facebook. I was also frustrated at where our country seemed to be heading.
In July 2009, I was determined to be intentional about supporting the President in the most proper way - to pray for him and his administration. Whether his views aligned with mine or not, as a Christian I was called to support he and other leaders through prayer. From July 2009 until May 2010, I authored a blog entitled "Obama Prayers." This blog was an effort to take news reports about him, his decisions, or the actions of his administration of which I had concerns and apply a prayer. The prayer was to help focus me and anyone reading.
Life and other distractions led to me abandoning the blog. Sadly, it never got much traffic either. Yet, I believe then as I do now that prayer is important for leaders...even those you oppose.
Below is one of the posts from Obama Prayers. I've changed any references from Obama to Trump.
Read it. Soak on it. Then, take action.
Prayer is a challenging thing. Here, we have God's ear to share our thoughts, concerns, and desires with Him and we often either don't do it enough or completely forget! It's tragic because so much can be gained from a healthy prayer life.
Most of the time, it's easier to pray for someone we care about such as our spouse, family or friends. But what about our leaders? Our boss, pastor, mayor, governor, and the President are some people we should remember in prayer.
1 Timothy 2:1–3 says "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior..."
Kings and all in authority...well, that pretty much covers it. But what if I don't agree with the government?
Romans 13 states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God...This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”
Ok, fine, I'll pray for my leaders...but not Donald Trump. Nope, not gonna do it.
Luke 6: 27-31 says “But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”
We don't have the luxury of praying only for people we like or only people who think like us. Loving our enemies is praying for them and interceding for them. Perhaps "enemy" is a strong word but it fits the bill on someone you dislike.
So, how can you pray for President Trump? Feel free to choose any of the prayer suggestions below and add them to a calendar or other means of devotional recording.
- Pray President Trump will seek God's Will for himself, his family, his administration, and America.
- Pray President Trump is open to the Holy Spirit's teaching and guidance.
- Pray for an ever-increasing knowledge of God.
- Pray for President Trump's work to be the best.
- Pray President Trump is sensitive to God’s voice, has spiritual ears, and a willing heart.
- Pray President Trump stays far from gossip, deceit, or unbelief.
- Pray God gives President Trump a spirit of wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, strength, and obedient and reverent fear of the Lord (Isaiah 11:2).
- Pray for keen discernment between God’s wisdom and human wisdom.
- Pray for pure motives, purged by God through the Word and President Trump's personal prayer time.
- Pray for discernment against impure motives.
- Pray God leads and directs President Trump's paths.
- Pray for divine health—physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually.
- Pray for all effects of tiredness and discouragement to be loosed from President Trump's mind and body.
- Pray for fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
- Pray for total submission to the Lord in every aspect of life.
- Pray for a spirit of unity, not competition; humility, not superiority; cooperation, not defensiveness.
- Pray President Trump pursues righteousness, faith, love, and peace.
- Pray President Trump feeds daily on the Word of God and maintains a faithful prayer life.
- Pray God sends angels to guard President Trump, his family, and property, puts a hedge of protection around all that's going in, coming out, the air above, and the ground below.
- Pray the angels go before President Trump and do battle in his behalf.
- Pray God foils all attacks and traps of the enemy.
- Pray against all occult activity—curses, witchcraft divination, sorcery.
- Pray the Lord causes President Trump to abound in prosperity—body, soul, and spirit.
- Thank God for providing all the needs—personal, family, ministry.
- Pray President Trump will be a wise steward of time and be disciplined.
- Pray President Trump's relationship with God is the top priority.
- Pray for unity and understanding among the family members.
- Pray there's no resentment when sacrifice is required.
- Pray God meets President Trump's emotional needs.
- Pray President Trump spends quality time with his family—both leisure time and spiritual time.
- Pray the family discerns each other’s needs—emotional, physical, material, and spiritual.
- Pray President Trump overcomes pressures and stress.